Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring forward, fall back...

This year Daylight Savings Time starts three weeks early. So apt. Since the year has started, I've been pushing ahead at a much faster pace. One can be methodical without being slow. A few weeks ago, I acted on resolving a few issues that I've been abiding with for months. What is the point of more time for a situation that will inevitably end the same no matter when the action is taken? Do it now. A jolt to the system? Yes. Finding myself at a point I knew I'd come to eventually, only much sooner than I actually imagined I'd arrive... Perhaps I was putting off the inevitable not to stretch time but to freeze it. Having made a decision, if I don't take action, can I alter the inevitable? I don't know. But I am certain that my attempts to find the answer to that question have only ever wasted time, my time. Spring forward, girl. Let the rest fall back.

1 comment:

blackrussian said...

One of my favorite songs of all time is "11th hour" by Dionne Faris and I quote it all the time.

In it she sings, "Once you make your decision, your decision is made."

And if you know what she means, then you know what she means.

I find that line powerfully profound and I think of it whenever have to make a decision and then act.

Often times, we are not afraid of making the decision. What paralyzes us about having to act is facing the consequences - the fallout, perhaps, or the uncertainty. Maybe we are afraid of what we will have to go through. Maybe we are most afraid of what others will think.

But once you make your decision, your decision is made....

And I always try to remember those words because they are so TRUE. Putting off the action and delaying the inevitable rarely has positive consequences and often leads to further regret.

That has been my experience, anyhow.

Can only speculate on what your situation might have been, but I have found that the principles of decision-making and dealing with the consequences of action or inaction hold true across the board. Whether the decision concerns relationships, money, career, family, hair...whatever...

And that's my 2 cents, which you know, is actually like two dollars by the time I lay it all out there. Being the LWC and all...