Monday, November 19, 2007

Question...

How do you know it's time to do laundry?
Renea: You run out of underwear.

How do you know it's time to wash dishes?
Renea: When you open the cabinet to get a bowl, it's completely empty.

How do you know when it's time to make groceries?
Renea: Hey, cher, you must be from New Orleans too--making groceries and all....You make groceries when you open the refrigerator door and see the bare bulb.

So, last question, how do you know when it's time to wash your hair?
Renea: I used to know. When my hair goes flat. But now I'm having a terrible problem...I set my hair on those Wrap-A-Locs 22 days ago. It's still curly. So I haven't washed my hair...I haven't thought about it at all.

So now I have to set an arbitrary day to wash my hair...even if it looks good?! Frown. I looked in the mirror this morning and realized my head needed a good scrubbing, fluffed my ponytail curls and headed out.

What next? Doing laundry every week and washing dishes everyday?! These Wrap-A-Locs are going to completely upset my chi.

7 comments:

Goodnapps said...

I've been going back and forth on how soon I will order the wrapalocs. For curls that will last a month, it will definitely have to be sooner than later. The 2-3 hours of effort is definitely worth it!!!

muslimahlocs said...

hmmm...so you took the consultants training class? so what you just teach on the side?

Unknown said...

lmao!!!! I have that problem too when i wash, do a braidout, and wrap the ends with THE ORIGINAL, ONE AND ONLY SOFTSPIKES (Just had to get that out). I often look in the mirror and wonder, "hmmm... when was the last time i washed my hair??"

Unknown said...

@muslimahlocs-
My classroom days ended six years ago. I thought I was leaving academia for good. I took the consultant class because I am really fascinated by role of hair in black women's lives. My late grandmother was a cosmetologist and that started my curiosity about how hair brought black women together socially, affected their self-image, etc. Sisterlocks was new and I could really understand it from all sides, and from its beginning which intrigued me. The discussions around Sisterlocks are so complex...
By the time I was able to take the class, I did consider trying it as a side gig but it is so time-consuming and then I got a job at UrbanIvy. I was too overwhelmed by moving to New York to pound the pavement for a job or meeting new people to start a business. I know my job experience has some value there.But I would love to have a hair salon...the most interesting things go on there.

brunsli said...

Please share photos of the 22-day-old curls!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!! Unfortunately I have dry scalp and get the itchies so I have to wash my hair every 3-4 days.. Isn't that crazy!!!!!!

I would love to see a pic of the 22-day old curls myself..

Kwasmrs said...

Wow, that is amazing!! I would love to see pics of those curls that held that long. Your locks are gorgeous by the way.