Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Aspiration...


When did we stop aspiring? When did we stop looking in the mirror and seeing our own possibility? When did we decide to take over selling ourselves short and limiting our horizons? When did we give up on having? On being? On doing?

I was angry. But now I thank Hillary and Bill for getting me to do what I should have done months ago. I dipped into my 'allowance' and sent the Obama campaign a contribution. Not a lot. I don't have much. But I have enough do something.

Let me break it down...Black people can do what they will. They can go to Princeton. They can go to Harvard and be Law Review editor. They fall in love. They get married. They have babies and raise them together. They stand up, walk to the front of the room, take the podium and hold the floor. They can represent for everybody and remain true to themselves. They can say exactly what they mean to anybody about anything. They can be absolutely, undeniably impeccable and charming and sharp and fallible and witty and ready...

I want to know who you thought you were waiting for? When you close your eyes and imagine who would be right, who do you see? Now OPEN your eyes! Open your eyes.

I'm not even going to say that I'm going to vote for Obama--it's just my thing, I don't ever say this early that I will vote for anybody...I have until February 5th. But I am saying that I SUPPORT him. I don't think any candidate is perfect. But I know I am don't need Bill or Hillary to tell me who is 'electable.' And I damn sure don't need black people to tell me to hesitate supporting a candidate who deserves my support.

This man embodies everything that this country claims is requisite to be elected president. This woman is the baddest chick on high heels.

It would be outrageous enough to think that white people would not have the integrity to vote for this man. But is downright shameful and heartbreaking, to KNOW that there are black people who will not support him...and not because he isn't qualified. There are black people who will not support him because he IS qualified. Because of his education, because of his life experience, because of his self-assurance, because he has enough swagger to to run this race this way he wants to run it and not wait for ANYBODY's permission (I'm talking about you Jesse, and you Andrew Young, and you Bill and Hillary).

But those people can do what they want. And I know that they will. All I am responsible for is what I will do. Imagine what would happen if we all had enough AUDACITY to stand in our own light. Better yet, don't imagine...do that...

3 comments:

Mr.Slish said...

I feel you on this.

The reason why black folk don't want Obama to be president is simple. Fear ! If a black man becomes president it will cause other black folk to be accountable for their actions..No more " They always tryng to keep us down" How could they when we have a black man in office! Its like getting a close friend a job at your company. You hope they don't do anything stupid to embarass you. To some of us if Obama becomes president and effs up Then we all eff up. That's how they look at it. They don't want to take a chance on him. They don't want the responsibility of making Obama look good if he gets into office.

That my Sista is The Black Folk curse. We want the benefits without putting in the work...

Obama has my vote and will definitely have my support if he becomes the next president of the United States.

ayankha said...

Beautifully said! It does my hope/faith a lot of good to hear another sister give props to a REAL man (not some fake politician) that not only has good intentions but a great plan to better this country. Even bigger props to the sister holding him down... and a career and the household. What more can I ask for in a National President & 1st Lady?

Naturally Sophia said...

Bravo Renea! Eloquent as always!