Monday, January 28, 2008

Swan song...


And so here it is. The first of many lasts. Tonight is GW's last State of the Nation Address. Sigh. I've applied my exfoliating mask, poured myself some wine and put my feet up. So it's rollers and rhetoric. I am curious to hear what ol' George has to say. The presidential candidates in his own party are, in effect, running against his administration and its record. Besides ensnaring the country in an indefinite, undefined, misdirected military effort in Iraq, the country is on the brink of a sub-prime mortgage crisis that may pull our economy into recession. I can't think of one cabinet-level issue where his administration has made a positive contribution. Sigh. But ever the optimist, W is going to lay out a series of proposals 'to move our country forward.' Yet as soon as he takes the podium, he will become a lame duck. Hardly a strategic position for leadership. It's all taking its toll on him. George hardly laughs or even smirks anymore. It's sad really. But hey, what are you gonna do?

I wonder what W's plans are for next year. The Carlyle Group? Halliburton? Giuliani and Associates? After a long vacation in Riyadh, I'm sure everything will be clearer.

2 comments:

Amba said...

I didn't actually stay up for the SOU address. I was feeling headachy so went to bed. Don't think I really wanted to hear it anyway. I just love your political saviness and insight. As a non-American living here it's nice to hear clearly articulated viewpoints. Keep your comments flowing. Love your blog and your hair.

Anonymous said...

I was not at all impressed with his State of the Union address...I'm glad it is his last..I want to hear what the next president has to say.....

You have been tagged:)...Check out my blog for more details...